European Partnering Awards
Call status: Closed
Previous call: 12 September 2016 – 17 November 2016
The European Partnering Awards will provide funding for networking and other activities to facilitate UK coordination and participation in consortia for the preparation and development of collaborative research proposals for submission to European Commission funding calls under Horizon 2020.
- To pump-prime consortia building between scientists in the UK and eligible EU countries for the purpose of submitting high quality UK led applications to EU or other sources of funding.
- To increase participation of UK industrial partners (especially SMEs) in European funding calls
- To encourage applications to EU funding calls aligned with current BBSRC strategic priorities
- Funds can only be used for travel, subsistence and other activities, such as workshops or exchanges. They are not to fund salary costs, consumables, items of equipment or other research costs, nor to link ongoing single collaborative projects
- Typically between £15-£20K over a period of 12-18 months for partnerships with 1 or more EU partners (academic and industrial)
- Research groups should try to access other sources of funding in addition to the partnering award
- Successful awards should aim to start April 2017
Applications are reviewed internally against the following criteria:
- The alignment of the proposal to BBSRC
- Whether the application is likely to lead to EU funding or other sources of funding.
- The role of the researcher in the proposed consortium, and if appropriate in the intended European funding programmes
- The benefits and future joint research likely to accrue from the collaboration.
- The scientific strength, suitability and the role of the chosen partners
- The inclusion of any additional UK partners including the involvement of UK industrial partner(s) (overseas industrial partners are acceptable in cases where there is no suitable UK partner available)
- Whether the collaboration is a new linkage or an on-going partnership and the specific benefits that are brought to the proposal
- Open to current BBSRC research grant holders and researchers employed at National Institutes of Bioscience who are in receipt of BBSRC funding (see guidance notes in application downloads below)
- Consortia of academics may apply, with one person acting as the lead
- Applicants cannot hold more than one European Partnering Award at any given time