The lifecourse of the auditory system
In partnership with the charity Action on Hearing Loss (formerly RNID)
Action on Hearing Loss
BBSRC funding total
£3.3M (total: £4M including Action on Hearing Loss contribution).
BBSRC number of projects funded
Seven projects where funded (13 projects were funded overall). See press release in related links for further details.
To increase our understanding of how the auditory system develops and ages and the processes that lead to age-related hearing loss.
- Increase our understanding of the lifecourse of the auditory system
Basic research that will:
- Advance our understanding of the mechanisms controlling the development of either the peripheral or central auditory system and of the basic biological changes (molecular, structural, physiological) that occur with age
- Increase our understanding of how the function of the auditory system is affected by age and the causes of age-related hearing loss
- Investigate prevention and treatments of hearing loss
Innovative and applied research that will:
- Contribute to the development of novel approaches to halting or slowing down the progression of age-related hearing loss
- Advance strategies to either prevent hearing loss or restore function.
Related calls: ageing