ERA-Net Industrial Biotechnology
- ERA-NET EuroTransBio (ETB)
Number of BBSRC projects funded
Six projects were funded. Projects are expected to start in early 2015.
To address industrial biotechnology for Europe: an integrated approach.
These were innovative industrially relevant and development projects on one or more of the following processes:
- Conversion of industrial by-products and biomass into value-added products
- Novel systems for new, more sustainable processes (bio-catalysts such as enzymes, micro-organism and cell-free biosynthesis systems)
- New compounds from existing, but not well studied biological systems, by understanding their metabolic pathways
- Modelling and optimisation of biological unit operations/modelling for the improvement of cellular bio-processes
- Process development, intensification and/or integration in existing industrial processes (e.g. downstream and scale-up, process design, scalability)
and these products/markets:
- Development of new functional materials/properties from renewable resources
- Development of platform chemicals including bio-monomers, oligomers and polymers
- Biomaterials, pharmaceuticals, functional food/feed ingredients *
and function-based bio-products and bio-process design.