Tackling Antimicrobial Resistance (theme 2): Accelerating therapeutic and diagnostics development
This call was a cross-council initiative led by MRC
Funds will be available to support research consortia (~£3M each) over 4-5 year period, offering scope, breadth and flexibility in addressing the aims of theme 2.
Number of projects funded
Not yet awarded.
Focus of theme 2
The focus of the call encompasses the development, scale up and manufacture of new antibiotic therapies and the diagnostics required to better target new and existing therapies and to monitor spread. To:
- refresh the pipeline for human and animal antibiotics
- underpin the development of rapid, point of care diagnostics to enable the most appropriate therapy to be chosen
- develop new non-drug based treatments that can avoid resistance
- develop innovative diagnostics data linkages for community settings to monitor spread
- improve the efficacy of drug delivery to maximise the dose to infected cells while minimising exposure and thereby the development of resistance
- accelerate the scale-up and manufacture of novel antibiotics and vaccines
- consider the role of existing and new business models in encouraging innovation
- Tackling Antimicrobial Resistance (theme 1): Understanding resistant bacteria in the context of the host