Sustainable Agriculture Research and Innovation Club (SARIC)
The Sustainable Agriculture Research and Innovation Club (SARIC) is a joint BBSRC and NERC initiative to support innovative projects that will provide solutions to key challenges affecting the efficiency, productivity and sustainability of the UK crop and livestock sectors.
Approximately £10M of funding is available through the 5-year partnership between BBSRC, NERC and a consortium of leading companies to address two key challenges identified by industry:
- Resilient and robust crop and livestock production systems
- Predictive capability and modelling for new technologies, tools, products and services
Funding for these areas is split into two streams:
- Research grants, providing new knowledge and data
- Research translation grants developing tools and products from existing data
In recognition of an increased interest and importance of the inclusion of social and economic science perspectives to challenges in sustainable agriculture, ESRC has become a partner in the second SARIC call for proposals.
SARIC has 12 company members who contribute to funding research and take part in directing the Club’s activities. SARIC has a total budget of approximately £10M:
- £1M – company membership subscriptions
- £9M – BBSRC, NERC and ESRC