BBSRC congratulates new Royal Society fellows
21 May 2010
BBSRC wishes to congratulate all those scientists who were honoured today by being elected Fellows of the Royal Society.
Of the 44 newly elected fellows, a quarter have received BBSRC funding and support, demonstrating the strength of UK bioscience and the esteem with which BBSRC-funded scientists are held.
Amongst those elected was Professor Wolf Reik FRS from the Babraham Institute, an institute of BBSRC, who has been honoured in recognition of his fundamental discoveries of epigenetic mechanisms in mammalian development, physiology, genome reprogramming, and human diseases.
Professor Douglas Kell BBSRC Chief Executive said: "I would like to extend enormous congratulations to all those scientists who were made fellows today, so many of whom have been supported by BBSRC. UK bioscience is world leading, and it is heartening to see those people who make it so being recognised by one of the world's oldest and most distinguished scientific societies."
BBSRC would like to extend special congratulations to the following scientists who were elected fellows today and have received funding from BBSRC:
- Professor Andrea Hilary Brand FRS - Herchel Smith Professor of Molecular Biology, Wellcome Trust/Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute and Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge
- Professor Nicola Susan Clayton FRS - Professor of Comparative Cognition, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge
- Professor Gideon John Davies FRS - Professor of Chemistry, York Structural Biology Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of York
- Professor Richard Peter Evershed FRS - Professor of Biogeochemistry, Organic Geochemistry Unit, Bristol Biogeochemistry Research Centre, School of Chemistry, University of Bristol
- Professor Robert Charles Griffiths FRS - Professor of Mathematical Genetics, Department of Statistics, and Fellow of Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford
- Professor Roger Clayton Hardie FRS - Professor of Cellular Neuroscience, Department of Physiology Development and Neuroscience, Cambridge University
- Dr Michael Harvey Hastings FRS - Staff Scientist, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge
- Professor Ronald Thomas Hay FRS - Professor of Molecular Biology, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee
- Professor Peter Horton FRS - Emeritus Professor of Biochemistry, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield
- Professor Angus Iain Lamond FRS - Wellcome Principal Research Fellow and Professor of Biochemistry, Director of the Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation and Expression, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee
The full list of new fellows can be found here: http://royalsociety.org/New-Fellows.
Matt Goode, Head of External Relations
tel: 01793 413299
Tracey Jewitt, Media Officer
tel: 01793 414694
fax: 01793 413382