BBSRC is not responsible for the content of external websites
Beacons for Public Engagement initiative online survey of UK higher education staff and researchers
22 February 2010
The Beacons for Public Engagement (BPE) initiative was launched by the UK Higher Education Funding Councils, Research Councils UK and the Wellcome Trust in January 2008.
The initiative aims to:
- Encourage a change in culture within higher education with regard to engaging with the public
- Support the development of public engagement across all subject areas and activities
This ongoing work is to be achieved through building on and refining existing work, and through the development of new practice.
There are 6 Beacons for Public Engagement based around the following universities:
- Beacon North-East (Newcastle and Durham)
- CUE East (UEA)
- Edinburgh Beltane (Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt, Edinburgh Napier, UHI Millennium Institute, Edinburgh College of Art, Queen Margaret)
- Manchester (Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan, Salford)
- UCL (UCL and Birkbeck)
- Wales Beacon (Cardiff and Glamorgan)
There is also a National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement (NCCPE) involving the University of Bristol and the University of the West of England (UWE).
Oakleigh Consulting Limited are evaluating the BPE initiative on behalf of the funders.
An online survey was completed in 2008 forming part of our baseline assessment for the evaluation. A similar survey is now available to allow us to identify any changes in perceptions relating to public engagement.
This survey is for all staff working in:
- UK higher education institutions
- UK research institutes or centres
We are interested in the views of staff whether at a BPE institutions or not because we want to see what is happening across the sector, so please complete the survey wherever you work.
Completing the questionnaire
The questionnaire will be available online from 15 February to 2 April 2010.
If you have any queries regarding the completion of the e-survey, please contact Zeb Nash at Oakleigh: email@example.com.
Patrick Middleton, Head of Engagement
tel: 01793 413368
fax: 01793 413382