Section A11: Permanent change of location, travel and other allowances:

A11.1: Main page

Detached duty, late working and home-to-workplace journeys

1. Detached duty in the UK

1.1. Definition and maximum period

‘Detached duty’ means any period of work away from the normal workplace, other than on permanent transfer. It can include fieldwork, conferences, seminars, work at other establishments and meetings where you are representing us.

The normal maximum period for detached duty is 3 years; however, the probable length of stay and the likelihood of return to the normal workplace will be discussed at the outset and reviewed at set intervals.

1.2. How you qualify for payment of expenses

We will reimburse you for reasonable expenses for travel, food and accommodation (excluding alcohol) incurred whilst on official business on behalf of your establishment, on the basis that:

1.3. What you can claim for

All costs will be met by your home establishment, unless stated otherwise.

1.3.1. Food and accommodation

1.3.2. Travel costs

You may claim for the cost of any necessary travelling whilst on detached duty. You are expected to use the most economical transport available. Use public transport wherever possible (but you may use your own car if you have a medical condition which prevents you using public transport). Medical conditions aside, if there is no suitable or economical public transport, then use an establishment vehicle if available. Otherwise, if local policy is to use hire cars rather than your own vehicle then you must comply.

Car travel. You can use your own vehicle if your line manager agrees. If you do so, then the following rules apply:

Return to top

2. Detached duty overseas

You may claim any reasonable expenses you incur as a result of detached duty overseas, as if you were in the UK (see paragraph 1 above as a guide) but, in addition, account will be taken of local circumstances and living costs (you should liaise with your HR department about this).

Medical insurance cover

Medical insurance cover may be available for staff travelling overseas. For details, see your local HR department.

Return to top

3. Late working

A flat-rate allowance is payable to an employee who is required to work late at night at their establishment in addition to ordinary day duty. See  appendix A11.1i for details.

Return to top

4. Home-to-workplace journeys

In general, the cost of travel between your home and your normal workplace is your own responsibility. Exceptionally, travel costs may be paid when you are required to make an additional attendance outside normal working hours or overtime, as follows:

See  appendix A11.1i for mileage rates. Please note that the above travel expenses may be taxable according to Inland Revenue rules.

Return to top

Last updated 02/01/14
Amendment 167 - January 2014