You may need to download additional plug-ins to open
BBSRC is not responsible for the content of external websites
To lead world-class 21st century bioscience, promoting innovation and realising benefits for society within and beyond the UK.
BBSRC has a unique and central place in supporting the UK’s world-leading position in bioscience. We are an investor in research and training, with the aim of furthering scientific knowledge, to promote economic growth, wealth and job creation and to improve quality of life in the UK and beyond.
In the coming decades bioscience will be central to providing solutions to major challenges, such as:
- Feeding 9Bn people sustainably by 2050
- Developing renewable ‘low carbon’ sources of energy, transport fuels and chemicals to reduce dependence on dwindling oil reserves
- Staying healthier for longer as lifespans increase and society ages
Our vision is structured around world-class bioscience, key strategic research priorities and enabling themes - methods we will use to achieve our aims.
For more detail on our strategies in each area see our full Strategic Plan.
We have a strong commitment to funding curiosity-led research, and will continue to advance excellent bioscience across our remit from molecules to systems.
As well as funding world-class blue skies research we have 3 priority areas of particular focus.
- Food security
- Bioenergy and industrial biotechnology
- Basic bioscience underpinning health
Our enabling themes will help us deliver our strategic priorities by giving us clear actions to implement.
- Knowledge exchange, innovation and skills (see Working with business)
- Exploiting new ways of working
- Partnerships (see Strategic partnerships with universities)
Corporate Policy and Strategy