In broad terms, our principal strategic aims are about:
- Developing and embedding a 'systems' approach to biosciences in order to:
- Advance fundamental understanding of complex biological processes
- Underpin practical solutions to major challenges such as climate change, food security, healthier ageing, and the control of infectious diseases
- Maintaining world-class UK bioscience by supporting the best people and best ideas, wherever they emerge, through ‘responsive mode funding’; and by securing national research capability in strategically important areas
- Significantly increasing the economic and social impact of BBSRC-funded research, particularly through alignment with the Technology Strategy Board, and by helping to provide the skilled researchers needed for industrial R&D and academic research
Further details are provided in our 2011-2015 Delivery Plan.
We have research and policy priorities (see related links).