Modular Training Partnerships (MTP)
Interested in training? Go to the MTP call page (in Funding section).
Modular Training Partnerships (MTPs) fund the development of industrially-relevant short training courses at Masters level. Training is developed in close collaboration with industry, and evidence of industrial demand is a key requirement for funding.
MTPs provide pump-prime funding for:
- the development of individual training modules
- preparation and marketing of course materials, and course launch
We also consider clusters of complementary modules if there is sufficient evidence of industrial demand.
Training should be delivered using the most appropriate method for the target industry (e.g. distance learning, web-based learning packages or residential 2-3 day seminar and workshop sessions).
Priority is given to applications in subject areas of significant need identified by industry, and applications that are within strategic priority areas (see related links). Applications are assessed by Committee E (see related links), which includes members from the industrial community. There are three application deadlines per year and proposals are considered at the next available Committee E meeting.
Examples of courses
BBSRC has funded the development of over 100 modules since 1998, many of which are still operating. Modules have been in a wide range of subjects covering BBSRC's remit. Previous examples are shown below (see also 'Previous awards' PDF in downloads).
- An introduction to mathematical modelling for life sciences
- Masters-level training programme in vaccinology
- Distance learning MSc in meat science
- Modular histotechnology course
- Rothamsted diploma in crop protection
- Distance learning MSc in meat science and technology
- Experimental design for in vivo research
- Vaccine bioprocess development and commercialisation
- MRes in sustainable bioenergy
- Existing and emerging biotechnologies
- Bioscience technologies in practice
- Online postgraduate diploma in stem cell biology
- Advanced sugar beet technology
- Online courses in post genomic informatics