Information for students
The majority of BBSRC-funded students are funded from a training grant which has been awarded to an individual supervisor, department or institution. If you have a query about your funding please contact your department or institution in the first instance. We notify grant holders and institutions of awarded grants. We make regular grant payments to the institution once projects have started.
To enhance the quality and output of the UK research base, we are committed to:
- Training the next generation of world-class researchers
- Preparing researchers for employment outside of academia
- Supporting individuals' career paths where their research skills and training can have maximum impact
In conjunction with the other Research Councils, and through a variety of direct and indirect mechanisms, we encourage research organisations to support the provision of opportunities for the enhancement of personal, professional and career development.
- Studentship handbook (under review) (PDF 172KB)
You may need to download additional plug-ins to open this file.
Fully observe the conditions of your studentship
Research commercialisation and training
- Biotechnology Young Entrepreneurs Scheme
Professional and transferable skills
We fund and support the work and activities of Vitae, a national programme supporting the personal, professional and career development of doctoral researchers and research staff
- Research Councils UK: Roberts Skills Funding
RCUK coordinates the allocation of funding from the 7 Research Councils to universities and research institutes to support professional skills training and career development support for research students and postdoctoral researchers