Industrial Biotechnology (IB) Catalyst call
Call status: Closed
Previous call: 8 January 2015 – 2 December 2015
The funders have no immediate plans for a further round of IB Catalyst. This is following a review of individual Delivery Plans and budget allocations. The first four rounds of Catalyst funding will be reviewed as they progress, and the funders remain committed to supporting the development of the UK industrial biotechnology sector while future funding for the Catalyst is explored.
- Innovate UK
Together with EPSRC and Innovate UK, to date we have committed £76M in 2015-16.
Number of projects funded
82 projects sharing £76M. See news item for latest round of funding: £17M announced to support industrial biotechnology.
For more information please visit our:Industrial Biotechnology (IB) Catalyst page.
R&D to address one or more of the major challenges using biological processes, or processes in which biological and chemical approaches are used in combination to support:
- research and development for the processing and production of materials, chemicals (including pharmaceutical precursors and biopharmaceuticals) and bioenergy
- development and commercialisation of innovative IB processes to manufacture a wide range of existing and new products through collaborative and non-collaborative research grants
Projects should address one or more of the following challenges using biological processes, or processes in which biological and chemical approaches are used in combination:
- Production of fine and speciality chemicals and natural products (e.g. fragrances, flavours, pharmaceutical intermediates)
- Production of commodity, platform and intermediate chemicals and materials (e.g. plastics, resins, silks)
- Production of liquid and gaseous biofuels
- Production of peptides and proteins (e.g. enzymes, antibiotics, recombinant biologics)
- Novel or improved upstream or downstream processes to reduce costs or improve efficiency in industrial biotechnology applications