Industrial Biotechnology (IB) Catalyst call
Call status: Closed
Previous call: 8 January 2015 – 2 December 2015
The Industrial Biotechnology Catalyst programme, funded by Innovate UK, BBSRC and EPSRC, has been temporarily postponed awaiting the outcome of the comprehensive spending review.
Industrial biotechnology remains a priority for the three funders who continue to support it through other channels. Once the funders have confirmed budgets beyond 2015/16 we will agree how to take the IB Catalyst programme forward.
- Innovate UK
Together with EPSRC and Innovate UK, to date we have committed £58M in 2015-16.
Number of projects funded
16 projects sharing £17M. See news item: £17M announced to support industrial biotechnology
R&D to address one or more of the major challenges using biological processes, or processes in which biological and chemical approaches are used in combination to support:
- research and development for the processing and production of materials, chemicals (including pharmaceutical precursors and biopharmaceuticals) and bioenergy
- development and commercialisation of innovative IB processes to manufacture a wide range of existing and new products through collaborative and non-collaborative research grants
Projects should address one or more of the following challenges using biological processes, or processes in which biological and chemical approaches are used in combination:
- Production of fine and speciality chemicals and natural products (e.g. fragrances, flavours, pharmaceutical intermediates)
- Production of commodity, platform and intermediate chemicals and materials (e.g. plastics, resins, silks)
- Production of liquid and gaseous biofuels
- Production of peptides and proteins (e.g. enzymes, antibiotics, recombinant biologics)
- Novel or improved upstream or downstream processes to reduce costs or improve efficiency in industrial biotechnology applications