International Scientific Interchange Scheme (ISIS)
Call status: Open
Application deadline: apply at any time*
*at least 6 weeks before travel
To help scientists add an international dimension to their BBSRC-funded research by making and establishing new contacts with international counterparts.
Funding is available for:
- Short Term Travel Award: Normally intended as a first contact-type meeting. Allows researchers to travel outside the UK to initiate collaboration or prepare proposals with partners for international programmes (e.g. EU Framework, Human Frontier Science Program)
- Long Term Travel Award: For researchers to travel outside the UK for periods of up to 12 months
- Access Award: For stays of up to one month in another country to undertake a specific piece of work, access facilities not available in the UK or gain access to new techniques or materials, which would be of benefit to the BBSRC project or the UK research team
Funding is limited to travel and subsistence costs only, and does not usually exceed £5k.
Applications are assessed internally by BBSRC against the following criteria:
- The value added to BBSRC research by developing an international dimension
- The reasons for choosing this group and why at this time (anticipated unique benefits?)
- The benefits likely to accrue from the collaboration
- How the collaboration will be taken forward post-ISIS support
- The strategic relevance and pervasiveness of the collaboration (i.e. the extent to which the collaboration will benefit more than one UK group)
- BBSRC-supported researchers are eligible – research grantholders and staff employed at institutes of BBSRC
- The application must be made by the PI, but it does not have to be the PI undertaking the travel (students are not eligible for travel)
How to apply
- Read the guidance and regulation notes (see downloads section)
- Complete an online application through JeS
After the visit you will be required to complete a report explaining the extent to which the scientific objectives were achieved and any other outcomes from the trip. Reporting should also be conducted though Je-S, except in the case of pre-existing awards made under the old system.