Excellence with Impact
The call for applications is closed. The previous competition ran from 2013 to 2015.
The Excellence with Impact competition aims to recognise institutions that can develop and successfully deliver a vision for maximising impact, alongside a relevant institution-wide culture change.
The winning organisation will receive an award of £0.5M and there will be a further £0.5M available to be awarded at judges' discretion to highly commended runners up.
|Award||Award value||Total (£1M)|
|Runner up (x1)||£200,000||£200,000|
- To encourage research organisations (ROs) to develop a vision that supports a wide range of impacts arising from their research
- To encourage ROs to drive forward a strategy that maximises impacts that could arise from their research
- To support ROs in embedding their agenda to deliver impact from their research
- To stimulate and enhance relationships between BBSRC and participating ROs
- To showcase to users of our research and other strategic partners those ROs that are actively encouraging impact arising from their excellent research
- To recognise and reward efforts by all members of a RO to maximise the social and economic impact of BBSRC-funded bioscience research
"These awards recognise the impact of bioscience both on the economy and society, through driving innovation, training highly-skilled people, improving businesses and public services and attracting foreign investment."
Minister for Universities and Science David Willetts
The competition was open to:
- research organisations whose total value of BBSRC grants live on 1 April 2012 exceeded £5M
- all BBSRC strategically funded institutes
|Expression of interest deadline||31 January 2013|
|Vision deadline||31 May 2013|
|Mid-term review||1 December 2014|
|Final report||1 December 2015|
|Panel interviews||10 February 2016|
|Excellence with Impact award event||18 May 2016|
- The University of Aberdeen
- Aberystwyth University
- Babraham Institute
- The University of Edinburgh
- University of Glasgow
- John Innes Centre
- University of Leeds
- The University of Manchester
- University of Oxford
- Queen Mary University of London
Read our news story announcing the winner and runners up: Bioscience impact and innovation competition winners announced.