The Newton Fund was set up by UK government in 2014 to build research and innovation partnerships with 16 partner countries to support their economic development and social welfare, and to develop their research and innovation capacity for long-term sustainable growth.
The total budgeted UK investment for the Newton Fund is £735 million from 2014 to 2021, and partner countries provide matched resources within the Fund. It forms part of the UK’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) commitment, which focuses on activities that support countries on the OECD Development Assistance Committee (DAC) list. Newton Fund activities are developed in collaboration with the partner countries to ensure fit with their development priorities. The Fund is managed by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and delivered through 15 UK delivery partners, which includes the seven research councils.
Between 2014 and 2016, BBSRC committed over £38 million through Newton Fund activities to support collaborative research partnerships that help to fulfil the development needs of partnering countries. These investments have been made in collaboration with a wide range of delivery and funding partners, both here in the UK and in Newton partner countries. Newton projects cover an array of science areas and support collaborations involving a variety of activities including research, translation of research outcomes and capacity building.
- Newton Bhabha UK-India Industrial Waste Challenge 2017
- Addressing the challenge of Antimicrobial Resistance in India
- Newton Fund UK-China Agritech Challenge 2017
- RCUK-CIAT Newton-Caldas Fund Sustainable Tropical Agricultural Systems Programme
- Scoping workshop: Biological solutions to reducing industrial waste, environmental inefficiency and pollution in India
- UK-China-Philippines-Thailand Swine and Poultry Research Initiative
- UK-India Newton-Bhabha Fund joint call on pulses and oilseeds
- BBSRC/Embrapa Joint Wheat Call
- BBSRC-Newton Fund Call for Virtual Joint Centres with Brazil, China and India in Agricultural Nitrogen
- Newton Fund UK-China-Philippines-Thailand-Vietnam call for collaborative research proposals in rice research